Full-Time Assistant Editor, Digital Media Producer I
Since 1970, TVO has existed to ignite the potential in everyone through the power of learning. Through impactful digital education products, in-depth current affairs, thought-provoking TVO Original documentaries, and award-winning TVOkids content, we prepare Ontarians for success in school and life.
A digital learning and media organization, TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario, and is a registered charity supported by thousands of sponsors and donors.
Find and follow us on: YouTube (@TVO), Twitter (@TVO), Facebook (@TVO), and Instagram (@WeAreTVO).
The Assistant Editor creates daily editorial content and helps ensure the quality, accuracy and consistency of tone of the department’s work, within editorial and brand guidelines and to the highest standards of journalistic and technical excellence.
The ideal candidate will bring finely honed editorial judgment, top-notch skills in both copyediting and substantive editing as well as writing, and have experience working in a team in a daily online news environment. Familiarity with emerging technology and a thorough knowledge of current trends and innovations in digital media are required.
Under the overall responsibility of the Executive Producer, Digital, you will pitch and create daily content and longer-term editorial projects, and work as part of a cross-functional digital team. You will help to ensure that all digital editorial projects are delivered on time and within scope while adhering to TVO’s standards and ethics.
The successful candidate will work with other Editors on TVO.org content, with the Social Media Specialist to share and promote Current Affairs and Documentaries content (both current and from the archive), ensuring that website content adheres to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and will work collaboratively with broadcast and documentary teams to ensure seamless execution of cross-department, multi-platform content. You will also assist broadcast and documentary teams in generating story ideas, including making suggestions for interviews and establishing contacts.
- Research, write and edit current affairs coverage; co-ordinate with freelancers and interns; write and edit display copy; create, select and edit photos, graphics, video and audio
- Consult on video planning and production
- Post editorial content on TVO.org using a Drupal-based CMS
- Update and curate content on any and all Current Affairs and Documentaries homepages
- Develop, organize and present innovative approaches to generate content quickly in response to emerging current affairs issues
- Monitor social media in real time and use it to promote content and engage audiences
- Respond to peak audience periods on various platforms – digital, broadcast, social media – with content tailored for each platform
- Employ SEO and social media best practices
- Ensure all website content complies with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- Ensure proper and accurate clearance of all material used on the site, in collaboration with copyright clearance officers or others
- Co-ordinate with other departments in matters relating to site content
- Work with colleagues and leaders to ensure that the editorial process is efficient and productive
- Perform duties of all lower classifications
- Perform on and/or off camera
- Direct interviews in the studio or in the field
- University or college graduate, preferably in the liberal arts or journalism
- 4+ years’ work experience in daily online journalism
- Strong editorial judgment and cross-platform storytelling skills
- Deep knowledge of current affairs and familiarity with documentaries as a journalistic form
- Outstanding analytical and communication skills and proficiency in Canadian Press style
- Must be able to establish priorities and work effectively under pressure to meet tight and shifting deadlines
- Strong initiative and ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment and with remote offices
- A thorough and strategic understanding of social media, particularly Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, as well as demonstrated ease with these platforms and others (large online following would be a plus)
- Superior interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Deep understanding of how videos and other content are shared and consumed on broadcast, digital, social and mobile platforms
- Superior command of platform-specific digital storytelling and multimedia presentation techniques
- Solid understanding of SEO best practices, including headline writing and file structure with a good grasp of essential HTML coding
- Facility with Drupal-based or equivalent content management systems
- Knowledgeable about digital asset management and back-end administration
- Strong understanding of digital file formats and how to gather and edit media such as video, audio and photos
- Video and audio recording skills are an asset
- Demonstrates TVO’s values of Excellence & Innovation, Ownership, Collaboration, Trust and Respect
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by July 20, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the People & Culture Division. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
At TVO, we believe that the diversity of our team strengthens our ability to develop creative solutions and products that are reflective of Ontarians.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.