Full-Time Back-End Software Engineer
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Manulife Bank is seeking a highly motivated Back-End Software Engineer to join our team.
We’re not who you think we are!
What if I told you that Manulife Bank, a financial company, has a fun, laid back work environment with flexible hours, jeans, and work from home arrangements? What if I told you we’re working towards modern tools and processes including DevOps and tools like Jira and Jenkins? What if I told you we are striving to innovate and we’re growing?
No, you couldn’t possibly be talking about Manulife Bank!
But I am! We’re not some old, stuffy company. We’re a large company with lots of young talent going through a transformation to be not just a financial company, but a technology company.
What Tools/Technology Would I be Using?
Here are some of the tools that we currently use and the stack we are implementing:
- Java/J2EE for application development
- Spring Boot, Spring Cloud and Core Spring frameworks
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- SQL, MS SQL, Oracle, Azure
- JIRA, Confluence, Jenkins, GitLab
- Proper software development practices (CI/CD, security, code reviews, code deployments, etc)
What Work Would I be Doing?
We’re looking for an individual to complete our team. We are growing, and we’re looking for someone to learn and grow with us! Your responsibilities would include:
- Designing (both application and database), coding, unit testing and integrating new features and functionality as defined by the PO and team
- Applying creative problem solving that bring software designs to life.
- You will build best in class apps, APIs and data solutions to drive projects
- Promoting agile principles and methodology
- Participating in ideation and brainstorming sessions to devise creative and disruptive digital solutions. We need and value fresh ideas!
- Performing various investigative “Spikes” in order to mitigate technical uncertainty and risk
- Assisting in the development of automated test harnesses as necessary to ensure delivery of high-quality code
- Updating progress daily through the tracking tool (Jira) or Kanban board
- Completing and overseeing completion of any required documentation required e.g. deployment, maintenance, support and business needs
- Participating in the weekly Look Ahead meetings to assist the Product Owner to refine the Product Backlog including providing initial estimates
- Enjoy your job!
Additional attributes that are nice to have:
- Bank industry knowledge is an asset
- Ability to work independently and within a team/squad
Am I Right for the Job?
We’re looking for passionate, motivated individuals with experience driving technology roadmaps and programs as well as vendor delivery to join our team’s exciting journey as we grow, pioneer, and innovate. Software engineering experience is a must along with a passion for keeping current on new technologies. If you’re excited by the notion of joining a team which embraces learning and champions innovation, we want to hear from you!
Why is this job Important?
Our team helps to drive out and execute a great banking experience for our customers. It’s banking, the way it should be. At Manulife Bank, we believe banking products are an integral part of every Canadians financial plan. As one of Canada’s youngest banks, we are growing at an unprecedented rate and need people with the skills, energy and drive to maintain our leadership position as an “advisors bank.”
What Will I Learn on this Job?
We are an organization going through a digital transformation which you will be a part of. You will learn different tools and technologies (including DevOps!) and be helping to drive our strategic vision and direction of our technology strategy. We are a supportive company with a culture of continuous learning and improvement. Tell us what you want to learn, and we’ll help you get there.
This is a full-time permanent role in Waterloo, Ontario (preferably).
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of June 30, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$877 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.