Full-Time Data Engineer
RSA is one of the world’s leading multinational insurance groups with over 300 years of experience and over 20 million customers worldwide.
Our people are committed to building a dynamic internal culture where our people love what they do and feel motivated to keep things moving – for customers, for their colleagues and as part of their own growth and development.
In RSA, employing positive people is how we achieve success. You will be working in an environment that encourages you to do great work and you constantly will be faced with fresh challenges that have a direct impact on our business. We believe your personality and passion will keep RSA and our business moving forward.
At RSA we have a culture that supports and rewards high performance with a competitive reward policy for top performers. Our rewards package includes competitive compensation, work / life balance, opportunities to learn and the chance to make a difference working for a worldwide industry leader.
At RSA Canada, our purpose is to Make Life Better Together and we do that every day through our commitments to our people, our customers and our partners. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, fair, and accessible environment where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential and where everyone feels comfortable being their true selves. We hire on the basis of merit and we are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, as well as equal access to training and promotion opportunities.
Reporting to the Director Data Delivery, the Data Engineer will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Engineer will support our software developers, data architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. You must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
The position can be located in the GTA working out of our Mississauga, Ontario office or in St. John’s, Newfoundland.
Who you are
Your enthusiasm is infectious. You challenge the status quo. You find solutions to problems. You go the extra mile to exceed customers’ expectations. You get things done the right way. You represent our brand with passion and pride. You are a team player. You have fun and you make work fun for those working around you.
What you will achieve in this role
• Develops and maintains scalable data pipelines and builds out new API integrations to support continuing increases in data volume and complexity.
• Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability.
• Collaborates with analytics and business teams to improve data models that feed analytics and business intelligence tools, increasing data accessibility and fostering data-driven decision making across the organization.
• Implements processes and systems to monitor data quality, ensuring production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes that depend on it.
• Performs data analysis required to troubleshoot data related issues and assist in the resolution of data issues.
• Works closely with a team of BSAs, developers, and analysts.
• Defines company data assets (data models) as well as jobs to populate data models.
• Designs data integrations and assists Data Governance Officer on a data quality framework.
• Works closely with Enterprise Architecture, various business units and build teams to develop strategy for long term data platform architecture.
• Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems
What you bring to this role
• 5+ years of experience in previous Data Engineering roles with a proven ability to build and enhance complex data supply chains.
• Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
• Experience with AWS cloud services: S3, EMR, RDS, Redshift
• Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
• Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
• Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
• Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
Applicants agree that by providing personal information in response to this ad, and otherwise in any recruitment process with RSA or its affiliated companies (the “Company”) such personal information may be retained and used for a period of one (1) year from the date of this application, for the purpose of consideration for employment opportunities which may arise during that time period, unless an applicant notifies the Company to the contrary.
We thank all applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about us at our Career Site, www.rsagroup.ca, where you can apply on line.
RSA group of Companies is strongly committed to diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities, members of the LGBT community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
RSA group of Companies will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
If you have difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email AODA@RSAGROUP.CA or call us at toll free 1 (800)-855-0511. Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.