Full-Time Executive Producer, Digital
Location: Toronto, midtown at Yonge and Eglinton (on the Yonge subway line)
Since 1970, TVO has existed to ignite the potential in everyone through the power of learning. Through impactful digital education products, in-depth current affairs, thought-provoking TVO Original documentaries, and award-winning TVOkids content, we prepare Ontarians for success in school and life.
A digital learning and media organization, TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario, and is a registered charity supported by thousands of sponsors and donors.
Find and follow us on: YouTube (@TVO), Twitter (@TVO), Facebook (@TVO), and Instagram (@WeAreTVO).
The role is responsible for the full expression of TVO’s editorial mandate on digital platforms to serve existing and potential audiences. This person will be tasked with ensuring consistency of tone and voice, within editorial and brand style guidelines, and to the highest standards of journalistic excellence. Familiarity with emerging technology and knowledge of current trends and innovations in digital media are required.
Lead a cross-functional digital team to develop, maintain, and strategically execute projects from planning to implementation.
- In conjunction with the Vice President, Current Affairs & Documentaries, set overall editorial direction of daily online content and longer-term digital projects
- Craft, enforce, and evaluate digital strategy in alignment with overall editorial strategy distinguishing it from other media outlets and maintaining TVO’s standards and ethics
- Work with senior editorial teams, data analysts, and audience development specialists to monitor and understand analytics and to provide direction in crafting digital strategies leading to audience growth across all platforms
- Work collaboratively with broadcast and documentary teams to ensure seamless execution of cross-department, multi-platform content
- Work collaboratively with Executive Producer, Documentaries, to commission, develop and execute the digital media components of documentary film projects
- Assist broadcast and documentary teams in generating story ideas, including making suggestions for interviews and establishing contacts, and guiding coverage
- Work with journalists, editors, and outside teams to ensure that all editorial assets are delivered on time
- Work with editorial and technical teams to ensure that project timelines are set and communicated
- Maintain overall quality control by gaining a full understanding of the division’s operations and procedures, and how they relate to internal and external stakeholders and partners
- Oversee a team of 18 journalists
Required skills and experience:
- University degree, preferably in journalism. Background in online writing and editing a definite asset
- 5+ years in management roles, including 3+ years work experience in digital journalism and presentation at high-traffic websites, using leading-edge technologies and third-party curation tools and platforms
- Deep understanding of the value of social media in journalism, promotion, and community engagement. Large online following a definite plus
- A deep understanding of user experience, navigation, and audience development
- Familiarity with the latest developments in the web news and analysis space and best practices in digital information-gathering
- Excellent news/journalistic judgment and superior command of platform-specific digital storytelling and presentation techniques, including graphics, video, photography, and audio
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team player with developers, designers, product managers and the newsroom
- Familiarity with a Drupal CMS
- Ability to work as a member of a team of diverse individuals during constant deadline pressures with minimal supervision
- Deep knowledge of current affairs and familiarity with documentaries as a journalistic and artistic form
- Must have strong collaborative, planning, analytical, problem solving, and conflict-resolution skills
- Resourceful and confident relationship-builder, with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with minimal direction
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Strong and proven analytic and critical-thinking skills
- Deep understanding of SEO best practices
- Knowledgeable about digital asset management and backend administration
- Demonstrated flexibility with work assignments, as well as the ability to work quickly, efficiently, establish priorities, and work and lead effectively under pressure to meet tight and shifting timelines while adhering to agile development process.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by July 31, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the People & Culture Division. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
At TVO, we believe that the diversity of our team strengthens our ability to develop creative solutions and products that are reflective of Ontarians.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.