Full-Time Information Visualization, UX and Interaction Designer
We are seeking a passionate Information Visualization Designer with demonstrated experience in the research, design and development of visualization solutions for analysis and decision support applications.
You should be familiar with current best practices, the science of human perception and cognition, and the art of visualization. You will know when a visualization method exists and will use it, or on the other hand, when a new problem is presenting itself, and a new method needs to be invented. You should also be familiar with objective performance criteria for visualization and HCI systems. You will be joining teams of creative engineers and designers to create novel solutions to tough analytical problems. The position’s scope extends across the lifecycle from conceptualization to evaluation to full production through close collaboration with users, management and development teams.
You will be a proponent of user-driven design best practices. You will bring a strong focus on the user, their tasks, how to understand these tasks and their challenges, and new ways to solve them with data, workflows, visualization, analytics and collaboration. You will play a key role in re-framing problems into new technical approaches, collaborating with some of the most interesting subject-matter experts in their domains, their management, engineers, designers, data scientists and world-class researchers. Your portfolio will show your background in design through formal education and hands-on experience where you have previously had experience with planning, designing, and coordinating new visualization solutions.
Your strong communication and presentation skills are critical to conveying ideas/concepts to the development team and to stakeholders. You will be able to sketch concepts, contribute to written papers and deliver presentations.
You will also have a working knowledge of toolkits and programming languages to implement a design proof-of-concept or to contribute to a development team.
- Brainstorming meetings and creating workshops with end users and stakeholders
- Requirements and detailed task analysis
- Participate in and/or lead concept, design and workflow reviews with users
- Rapidly understand new and challenging problem domains and apply critical thinking to find solutions
- Conceptualize and design visual expressions of information and interactions to solve critical customer information requirements
- Produce mockups, detailed wireframes and walkthroughs using appropriate tools for the intended need and audience
- Produce design documentation and best practices
- Work side-by-side with software engineers through the development of prototype, pilot and product software to define interactions and revise designs in response to user feedback or technical limitations that arise in the development process
- Design and execute observational and quantitative evaluations of the software and revise designs accordingly
- Communicate how to best leverage capabilities of new analytical tools (use the tools, conceive and conduct software demos and training)
- Conceive, design and produce communication materials (e.g. posters and handouts); with potential creation of research papers for peer-review
Skills and Experience
- Undergraduate degree is required (e.g. CSc, engineering, design with technical specialty). Graduate degree is considered an asset.
- Background in Visualization Design, Interaction Design and Human-Computer Interaction.
- Understanding of interaction design for a variety of form factors, and for subject matter experts.
- Strong knowledge of data visualization design concepts.
- Familiarity with user interface design and workflow design.
- Experience with human-centered computing, including but not limited to visualization, visual analytics, human-computer interaction (HCI), and graphics.
- Strong analytical reasoning skills. Experience with analytical methods, including but not limited to statistics, computational linguistics, machine learning and adaptive analytics is an advantage.
- Knowledge of UX design tools and office productivity tools (e.g. Figma, Illustrator, Office).
- Published peer-reviewed authorship is an advantage.
- Applicants should provide examples of their work, such as links to an on-line portfolio and/or peer-review research.
Competencies and Attributes
- Demonstrates strong aptitude for the craft of information visualization design.
- Public speaking with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal departments, senior and executive management.
- Effective at goal-directed, supervised and unsupervised collaboration with end users.
- Independent and self-motivated with an aptitude for problem solving.
- Preference is given to working from one of our existing office locations. Remote work options will be considered.
- Travel to client sites will be required, on an as needed basis.
To work at Uncharted, you must be able to meet Security Clearance requirements and a Police Background Check.